Thursday, June 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Alaina

Dear Alaina Grace,

Today you turn three years old, and with each day that you have been with us you have brought us more joy. You bring so much laughter into our home. Your smile says everything about you and more. This year in my Christmas letter I wrote that you can't be explained, only experienced, and that is true.

Perhaps one of the most rewarding things about being your mom is witnessing the great love between you and Anna. I can't tell you what joy it brings me to watch the way you two play together, show compassion for each other, forgive each other, and love each other. You are so good to Anna, as she is to you, and that is a gift to me.

Some special things about you this past year:
  • You LOVE cheese. ALL cheese, ALL day long. American, cheddar, parmesan, blue, feta, gorgonzola, sliced, shredded, sticks, or cubed...you've never met a cheese that you didn't love. Of course that also means your favorite foods include cheese. Macaroni and cheese is your favorite food (you even request, and sometimes manage to get it for breakfast). You also love my broccoli cheese soup.
  • Your favorite color is orange with a close second of yellow. Perhaps, this has something to do with the color of cheese! This is an important part of your identity right now, and your birthday party will be an orange and yellow party. If something is orange you want it...you have even pleaded with me to buy you things as random as a bottle of Tide because it was in an orange bottle. Unfortunately for you, I use Gain which comes in a green bottle. ;)
  • You have an artistic flair. You love to draw, color, cut, paste, paint, and make crafts. You have spent hours this past year involved in these activities.
  • The past month or so, you have stopped worrying about green froggy blankey at night. You haven't been carrying him around, and you often go to bed without thinking about him. You do still love him.
  • You have been in love with your Daddy since the first time you laid eyes on him and that hasn't changed. You and he are so much alike and you light up like a Christmas tree when he is in the room.
  • You say completely random things that make absolutely no sense at all to anyone. But you say them with such authority and confidence that the rest of us are left thinking it must be us, not you, that is confused. It's part of your charm.
  • You don't like people. I mean, you don't act that way, but that is what you have been telling us lately. When we go someplace and someone that you don't know talks to you, you don't respond. Afterwards when I ask you why, you say very matter of factly and without any shame or remorse, "I don't like people." Well...ok....good to know... I guess. Unfortuntely for you, you are incredibly cute and charming and people like you. You do go on to say, "I just like Mommy and Daddy and Anna and Paige and Peyton and Luke and MawMaw and PawPaw, etc."
  • You are very cuddly and affectionate. You never refuse a hug or a kiss.
  • You are a night owl. (Of course Anna is an early bird, and herein lies your conflict as roommates.) Most mornings this part year, when I got up, your entire floor was covered in the books you sat up and looked at when you were supposed to be in bed. (By the way...you do an excellent job of retelling stories to yourself.)
  • You are not a morning person. You generally wake up crying.
  • The first thing you want to do every morning (once you have been cuddled and stopped crying) is put on something pretty and have me fix your hair.
  • You love to wear dresses.
  • You love to be outside - swinging, sliding, running, digging, painting...
  • When you are inside you and Anna spend hours in pretend play. Barbies, house, dress-up, fairies, Polly Pockets, Little People, babies....
  • "Troy is your boy." (Troy of High School Musical of course.)
  • This past election you voted for "Bok Omama"
  • You love babies and you already talk about wanting to be a mom. You are going to make a great mom.
  • You have a great giggle, and you exercise it alot.
  • When you turn away from me in your bathing suit and I see your little butt cheeks peeking out on each side, I get an overwhelming urge to have another baby.
  • You have a gift for long conversations...particularly with yourself.
  • You do your best singing on the potty.
  • You are the only person I have ever known that loves (as in perfers and wants) a COLD bath.
  • Maybe someday you will be able to explain to me why you spend so much time in the downward facing dog position . And as an afterthought, HOW do you do that without your hands!?
  • You got skills with dribbling the soccer ball.
  • You have coined the term 'stumpin', as in, "I want stumpin' to drink, I want to tell you stumpin' and I want stumpin' else to eat."

All of this, and I still haven't captured your spirit. Like I said, you can't be explained, only experienced. I wake up thankful every day that I get to experience you. God has made a beautiful thing in you. You are His creation and I am so blessed to see His work in you.

Happy Birthday Sweet Alaina Grace. I love you!



1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful thing you have done for your daughter...she will cherish your wonderful words so full of love and memories. I smile each time I read one of your entries. I hope you see Alaina's little cheeks peeking out of her swimsuit often this summer, so maybe soon I'll get news of you preparing for another little one:) You are an amazing blessing-as a friend, and I'm sure as a wife and mother also. I am so proud of you and all that you do! Much love, Nikki

    PS next year you have to go with me to that Beth Moore conference. You would love it!

    ReplyDelete