Monday, August 31, 2009

Fresh Squeezed

Dear Anna,

Tomorrow morning you start kindergarten! What an exciting day that will be. You were flattering me tonight by telling me that you will miss me. But I know that you will be at school having fun and making friends, and it is I that will miss YOU!

Our last big hurrah for the summer was a lemonade and brownie stand. It all started last week with your enthusiasm for the homemade pizzas we've been making at lunch time. You love them so much that you had the great idea that we should open a pizza shop. Your vision was that you would take orders outside in the front yard and I would cook the pizzas inside. You were SO enthusiastic about this idea, that I knew I would have to make some version of it work. I somehow managed to convince you that you taking orders outside alone wouldn't work out, and thus suggested the lemonade and brownie stand. You loved this idea and threw yourself into it. We painted posters, alerted relatives and neighbors, and set up shop. (Did I mention that before the day of the big sale you wanted to knock on every neighbor's door to tell them and you wanted to stop all the cars driving through the neighborhood and keep a list of everyone who was going to come? I think someday you may make me a millionaire! Ha, Ha!)

I thought that when the time came you would last one maybe two hours before you grew tired and gave up. Boy did you ever surprise me! After five hours of selling lemonade and brownies I finally had to make you come in so I could fix dinner. I was so proud of you! You didn't just run a lemonade stand, you created an opportunity for fellowship and community building! The people who came to your stand didn't just have lemonade, they sat down and talked and visited while they enjoyed your treats. One college age neighbor who we had never talked to before sat down and talked to us for a couple of hours while she ate! And you were an active (and very charming) participate in the conversation. Your stand drew grandparents, great great aunts and uncles, friends from church and neighbors. And you my dear child earned an amazing $35!


And what is more you showed how generous you are too. When I suggested that you share a little bit of your earnings with Alaina because she helped make the brownies (I was thinking like $5), you cheerfully gave her $12! I love you! You are an enthusiastic, charming, smiley, generous entrepreneur...and I couldn't be prouder.


Watch out kindergarten, here comes Anna!

No comments:

Post a Comment