Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Another Milestone...Anna Style

This weekend with no fair warning at all, Anna crossed another milestone. And she did it Anna style..all drama, all the time.


It all started when she went to brush her teeth before bed. Larry and I were in the kitchen and she came running out of the bathroom crying, "My tooth is broken! My tooth is broken!"


I wasn't exactly sure how a kid would break a tooth brushing her teeth, but since she has never had a loose tooth I jumped right into the panic with her.


That is until I heard Larry say, "No honey, you lost a tooth!"


LOST A TOOTH!? But how could that be? Despite her great, longing desire to be like one of those other holey mouthed kids in her class, Anna had never had so much as a wiggle in her mouth.


Well, just as quickly as her little mind could comprehend this turn of events her cries turned to shrieks and shouts and leaping for joy.


"I LOST A TOOTH! I LOST A TOOTH!"


Ahhh! For a few blissful minutes she was full of such glee as she danced, and spun, and I think perhaps even floated around the house.


I got out the little wooden tooth shaped box that we had been saving for this occasion, and she carefully placed her tooth inside.


More dancing, spinning, floating, shrieking, leaping, and calling of all of her 'peeps' to announce the news....all while holding the little box, with the loose lid, with the prized tooth inside.


See where this is heading yet?


So in the midst of her joy, Anna opens the box to take another peek, and you guessed it....the tooth is gone!


GONE?


GONE! Of course it is gone! Because when you dance around with a little cheap box with a flimsy sliding lid, the tooth is going to fall out! Which is what we tried to tell Anna during the spinning, dancing, floating, yadda, yadda, yadda...But did she listen to us?!


I digress...


SCREECH! CRASH! BOOM! BANG! "AAAGGGHHHH!"


(Did you hear that? That was Anna crashing down from her highest of highs to her lowest of lows.)


Now she sits perched on the stool in the middle of the kitchen wailing like a widow by the graveside, "OH MY TOOTH! MY FIRST TOOTH! I'LL NEVER SEE IT AGAIN! IT'S GONE FOREVER!"...(and on, and on, and, trust me on this, ON)...while Larry, Alaina and I are crawling all over the house on our hands on knees looking for the, ahem, darn tooth.


This went on for another five minutes or so with Anna's wails only becoming louder and more intense, when I saw Alaina go to something on the kitchen floor, touch it, and then begin to turn away.


"Alaina! That's it! That's the tooth! Alaina found your tooth! Alaina found your tooth!"


Alaina having had no idea that it was actually the tooth she almost left laying there on the floor picks it up and proudly begins playing the part of the Tooth Saving Hero.


Anna's wails (quite impressively) stop on a dime, she runs to Alaina and hugs her screaming, "You're the best sister EVER! You're the best sister EVER!"


She then proceeds to pick up right where she left off on her whole, I Lost My First Tooth Parade, this time stopping every few moments to squeeze Alaina and shower her with the appropriate praises for saving the evening.


I managed to get this picture.


Anna decided to put the tooth (in its wooden box) under her pillow right away for safe keeping. (Gee, what a good idea! Why didn't someone think of that sooner?)


The tooth fairy left Anna eight quarters for her first tooth, and Alaina a four quarter reward for her detective work (and for, well, lets admit it, bringing Anna's wailing to a halt).


The End!

1 comment:

  1. That's hilarious! So cute! You're such a good mom, Kim!

    ReplyDelete