But we also accomplished some things too. One thing I realized early in the summer was that Anna was going to need some added sense of responsibility during the break to keep her from getting bored. Anna has long been soothed by structure, plans, and responsibilities, and too much free time leaves her feeling lost and crabby. So, in an effort to meet that need, I decided to create a chore chart for her. I had done chore charts in the past, without much success, but after looking online I found a few ideas that made this experience with a chore chart more successful. It has been such a good experience for me that I have decided to share a few of the things that have made it work over the next few posts.
First of all I found this website, www.dltk-cards.com/chart/. On this website you can customize your own chore chart. It is super easy (takes about 5 minutes) and the great thing is it has clip art that allows your child to personalize their chart. So, when I made mine, I had the girls sit with me and pick out which picture they wanted, printed it out, and then had them color it. This simple involvement in the act of making the chore chart really increased their enthusiasm for using it.
The first few weeks we printed a new one out each week (the girls choosing their own clip art each time) and colored it. This allowed me to make a few changes as I figured out exactly what chores I wanted to be on it. Then, once I felt like I had the chart the way I wanted it, I took a new (freshly colored) copy to Staples and had it laminated. It only cost a few dollars, and now I don't have to print a new one out each week.
The chores on the chart are mostly the same for both girls:
- Vacuum under kitchen table (We use a small, lightweight vacuum that the girls love to run for this. Although, Anna has recently discovered that she can fun the big vacuum now to, so she is helping to run the vacuum the carpet and even some of the furniture too.)
- Carry dishes to the sink.
- Pick up. ( I list each room separately...Pick up bedroom, pick up playroom, pick up living room, etc.)
- Make beds.
- Pack lunch.
- Windex.
- Other
So, if you are at all interested, check out the website, and try putting together your own chore chart. In my next post I will share the tip I found about how to use the chore chart for allowances...it was different than anything I had tried before, and very effective! Oh, and I have a funny Alaina story for you!

No comments:
Post a Comment