While we were enjoying our vacation in Georgia, you did something noteworthy....you turned 4 years old! And so, I of course, owe you a birthday letter about all of the wonderful ways you have grown this year. It was a really big year for you. Anna started kindergarten and for the first time you found yourself home with me and no sister. You took to saying, "It's just me and you mom," on the days you were enjoying it, and "Let's go get Anna now," on the days you were missing her. And you did miss her for sure! So much so, that you took to creating imaginary brothers and sisters. Apparently though, Anna is hard to replace as you had as many as 13 brothers and sisters at any one time. Your stories about them were elaborate, detailed and surprising. Chugga, Choo Choo, Trash and your other brothers were very ornery characters. One I am told was even in jail for a while. The only one that ever seemed to have any sense was Katy, the only sister, but because she was good there weren't as many stories to tell about her.
With Anna gone so much I found out what a big helper you are. I have always suspected that you aspire to play the role of stay at home mom, as you love mothering your babies and talk a lot already about being a mom some day. But I found there are other aspects of it you love as well. You actually love helping with laundry. Your cheerfulness makes this yucky chore more pleasurable for me. And you also love to help in the kitchen. You are always wanting me to pull your stool over to the kitchen counter so that you can help me cook. I love sharing this time in the kitchen with you and always day dream a little bit about the day when you will be in your own kitchen cooking for your own children...how blessed they will be! I try to explain what I am doing and why and I am quite sure you are filing all this information away for later use.
Of course, Anna wasn't the only one off to school this year. You, my dear, started preschool as a Cookie Monster in Kiddie Kollege. When I signed you up in the spring I couldn't hardly imagine sending you there yet, as you still seemed so small to me. But you and Anna had been talking all year about how you would be a Cookie Monster, and she had you so psyched up with stories of friends and nice teachers and such that I really had no choice in the matter. You and Anna made the decision for me. It turned out to be a great decision. Preschool was definitely the highlight of each week for you. You made a best friend named "Ella Bella". One day you told me that when you and Ella get to school you "pat each other on the back to let each other know you are there". I was so touched to hear of your unspoken understanding for each other. At the end of each school day you would climb back into the car with a broad smile and a happy spirit. Your teachers had such glowing things to say about you, reporting that you were always, always, always, where you were supposed to be doing what you were supposed to do. Of course, you had already reported to me in your own words about your good behavior. You talked a lot about one little boy who didn't follow directions so well. Once while talking about him sitting in the time out chair I inquired if you had ever had to sit in it. You looked at me and indignantly replied, "No, I'm a good girl." The tone of your response said it all, you would NEVER be sitting in that chair, because you knew you were a girl who makes good decisions. How proud I am of you!
Preschool wasn't the only new thing for you this year. You started dancing also and looked so precious in your pink tights and black leotard I could hardly stand it. Of course you tortured me even more by scrunching your face up in your adorable smile and waving a tiny wave at me while I watched your lessons. You did beautifully in the recital and enjoyed sharing this new activity with your big sister as well.
You also participated in Little Solomon's class and really unearthed the nature lover in you. You were always right in the thick of things in this class, submerging yourself waist deep in the creek to investigate all the creatures you could find. You did not shy away from any of the creepy crawly discoveries, but delighted in learning about all of God's creations.
You still love all things related to art, especially coloring and drawing and your work is very impressive. You have learned your letters without effort, have an impressive imagination and a love for stories and pretend. You still love books and spend a lot of time pouring over the pictures and inventing the stories to go with them. You rarely turn down the opportunity to cuddle up on a lap and hear a story. Your absolute favorite activity is to play Barbies. If someone wants to make your day they need only to agree to play Barbies with you. You especially enjoy pretending your Barbies are boyfriend and girlfriend.
With all of these new and exciting things happening in your life I am reminded of how much you are growing. It is bitter sweet for me because I know as you leave each stage behind, I leave that stage of parenting behind as well.
And that is why I treasure the parts of you that haven't changed as well. I cherish the fact that when you wake up in the morning you still have that warm, snugly baby feel to you, and that you want me to scoop you up and snuggle with you. I can't imagine a better feeling than your warm body snuggled up against mine. I adore the tiny voice that you still carry. You don't talk like a baby, but you still have that adorable, sweet voice that makes everything that is said sweeter and more precious. You still carry blankey, although sadly green Froggy blankey has been lost and replaced with a yellow and pink elephant blankey that you named Sunny. I don't know who was more sad to see this childhood friend disappear, you or me. My heart still aches when I look at pictures of you holding him. And I am so grateful that you are still sooo generous with your hugs, kisses, snuggles, and "I love yous". No one is better at sharing or expressing love than you. I pray as I write this that next year when I write your birthday letter this will not have changed, because I can't imagine my days without your cuddles. And of course, you still have those beautiful blond curls, they have just gotten longer, and that adorable chicklet smile!
Alaina, I have always struggled to articulate for you the joy that you add to our family. You are a breath of fresh air for all of us. You don't take life as seriously as the rest of us do, and it is just in your being that you remind us all to relax and enjoy life. You bring us laughter without trying, peace in just being. You may be the youngest member of this family, but your role is already so important to us all. You are in fact living, breathing 'Grace' for us all. I love you!

No comments:
Post a Comment