Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Happy 7th Birthday Anna

Dear Anna,
The other day you got out of the car after returning home for school, looked around the neighborhood, and beaming announced to me that you wanted to make your 'special recipe' cookies to take to the neighbors. The delight on your face was, as always, convincing, and all other plans were put on hold as you went in, spread peanut butter on top of store bought chocolate chip cookies, carefully counted out three to a small plate, put them in the freezer and set the timer for a precise five minutes. When the cookies were ready, you gathered them up, took your sister by hand, and started out to make your deliveries. You gripped Alaina's hand in yours tightly, as you worry constantly about her in parking lights and roads. With the other hand you tried to balance the plates of cookies which were slid inside of ziploc baggies and sliding around on top of eachother. You stopped carefully at all of the appropriate places and looked left, right and left again to make sure you were safe. I could here Alaina singing one of her Safety Town rhymes as I watched. You held your focus on your responsibility of keeping you and Alaina safe while also making kind and loving conversation with her. Alaina, totally relaxed (as always) and feeling safe in your care, was so happy to be included in your project, and she joked and giggled with you as you walked. I watched as you confidently rang each doorbell. Of course, despite the fact that all of our neighbors are grandparents, and have no kids for you to play with, you have befriended (and charmed) them over the years, and when they answered their doors you happily engaged them all in friendly conversation. All the while I stood with tears in my eyes, knowing that this is who God made you to be. You Anna, are the protector and friend of your little sister, the neighbor to all (you need no reason to connect other than the reward of connection itself), the deliverer of cheer and friendly greetings. You have accomplished a lot this past year. You've lost teeth, learned to swim and read and write stories. You've excelled at kindergarten, been a good friend, performed wonderfully at dancing recitals and Broadway Babies performances. And yet, while all important, significant, and good, I am never prouder of you than I am in moments like these, when I see you being all that God intended you to be. You, who was just born knowing how to "Love your neighbor." I love you dear Anna. Happy 7th Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment