As I mentioned yesterday, our Sunday School class planned and led the services this week-end. My role was to give the Call to Communion (a meditation before communion). I thought I would post the meditation that I shared with my church:
The other day, my mom picked Anna up from pre-school. And when she delivered her home, she caught my eyes over her head and mouthed to me that Anna had had trouble with a friend at school. So I asked Anna how her day was. She immediately burst into tears, cowered in a corner, and sobbed, “I don’t want to talk about it! I don’t want to talk about it!” It was the most hurt I had ever seen her, and strangely, I felt a joyous anticipation. I realized that in her moment of hurt and despair I had Good News for my daughter.
So, without asking for more explanation, I scooped her up, hugged her tight, and said, “Anna, whatever happened at school today, you’re home now. You're back in your home, where you are safe and you are loved. I love you, Daddy loves you, Alaina loves you,” My list went on, and as it did, my sobbing, hurting, mess of a daughter turned into a smiling, giggling healing daughter. If you have that kind of love for someone in your life- the kind of love that truly requires no explanation, but rejoices in the opportunity to hold and comfort and say, “Whatever it is…I love you.” Then you have an earthly understanding of God’s love. When Jesus shared His last meal with His disciples He told them that He was going ahead of them to prepare a place for them in His father’s house. And that He was the way into that house.
God knew that we would not be worthy of His love. And that is why He sent his son for us. He waits in joyous anticipation of those moments when we come in our brokenness, and He is ready to say to us, “Whatever it is….you are home and I love you. My love is so much bigger than your mess. Remember?” He says, “I already took care of this. I sent my Son, and He died for you and for your sins, and in doing so He made a place for you in My home. The only thing left was this…that you come home.”
I also want to add a couple of fun pictures. The first is from our family movie night last night. We watched Bolt. We hadn't seen it yet and they loved it. Thankfully, nobody took a picture of me when I dozed off in the middle! The second two are from last Monday when it was in the high 80's. We're looking forward to more of that weather!

that's beautiful, Kim :)
ReplyDelete