For me one of the challenging parts of parenthood is that there is no "mid-term" to get an A on, no formal test to Ace, and there is always this sense of 'I hope I'm doing ok'. It's the most important job I will ever do, and there is no evaluation by a superior to make sure I'm on the right track. Of course we look at our kids behavior and health and happiness and get a sense of how were doing, but every once in a while you wish some expert would stop by and say, "Good job, keep up the good work," or, "Whoa, you are headed for trouble". That's why I'm going to stop and take a moment to enjoy the feedback that was given by Anna's teacher today.
My mom just dropped off Anna at school and she called me to tell me the nice report she got from Anna's teacher. Mrs. Barclay gave Anna's portfolio of work to her and started by saying what good work Anna does. She went on to say that Anna "has it all", good socialization, good academics, etc. I am pleased to know that Anna is sharing the best side of herself at school and that her teachers recognize it. Sounds like she is as ready for kindergarten as I think she is.
I of course know that Anna doesn't "have it all". As her Mom I have the best view of her shortcomings, and am solely responsible for a majority of them. But I'm going to allow Anna and I both to enjoy this feedback today. Because we all need a pat on the back once in a while....and she is a really great kid.
Final reflections from Jay Tew's most recent trip
13 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment